My wife told me, when I first shared my secret with her, that I would be angry when I found out who knew that Gibson was a pedophile and who was protecting him. She was right. I am angry at the entire apparatus that has protected him and the other perp priests in the Scranton Diocese. Some emails and blog posts that I have read in the last few days have brought it all into some clarity.
Let’s take a look at the litany of the protectors of the child rapists.
- Bishop Timlin actively protected several priests. He seems to have deftly moved perps from parish to parish or from parish to treatment center all on the down low.
- Bishop Martino inherited the mess from his predecessors. However, he cast his lot when he continued to keep the secrets of the rapist priests. He is also, by many accounts, a bit of a bully. This makes him difficult to communicate with and he prefers sending other people to do what the boss should do. He sent his auxiliary Bishop to impose his will on St Patrick’s Day organizers in the Electric City. He has his Chancellor and his Victim’s Advocate speak in his stead to victims. That seems to smack of cowardice. It may be my 23+ years in the Navy speaking, but the axiom fits here – “When in command, command”. Translation – When you are in charge, be in charge and take responsibility. Man up!
- Bishop DiLorenzo, currently the Bishop of Richmond, Virginia. He served as an auxiliary Bishop in the Diocese of Scranton. Nice to know that the Bishop of the Diocese in which I currently live may have had a hand in protecting my rapist and has ties to the Electric City Catholic Pedophile Conspiracy. I bet he knows where some of the priests are hidden!
- Bishop Dougherty, the current auxiliary Bishop and former Chancellor of the Diocese of Scranton. As chancellor and now as auxiliary bishop he would be in the know on the extent of the misconduct and felonious activities of diocesan pedophiles. I wonder if auxiliary bishops are like vice presidents. It is a great title, but they don’t seem to have much to do except for the boss’s dirty work and hope that a better gig comes along.
- James Earley, Chancellor of the Diocese of Scranton. His signature is on most of the correspondence from the Diocese to victims. He is the one who writes the letters to civil authorities (if prodded enough or when the diocese is cornered). This man knows the names of the priests who are committing crimes. I wonder how much they pay him to keep silent.
- Father Richard Locke, Episcopal Vicar. He is the one that tracks all the personnel issues involving clergy. I bet his file cabinet is chock full of felonious activity.
- Monsignor John Bendik. I have to ask, Monsignor what did you think Gibson was doing in the St. Luke’s rectory with all those boys in the 1970’s? You may have walked in on inappropriate behavior, you must have seen something? And yet you kept your silence. Your name also appears in court cases for other priests accused of inappropriate sexual behavior. So close to the flame so many times! I wonder if your reward for silence is your current position as Monsignor?
- The Legal Staff- I am not sure who the attorneys for the Diocese are. It is probably best that I don’t name the firm here. They are the pit bulls employed by Bishop Martino to insure that the victims remain in their place. These are the people who cover the tracks of the guilty and those that protect them. You guys should be really proud.
- The Comptroller of the Diocese. Follow the money! They were able to get Al Capone because, when it came down to it, the bookkeeper gave him up. Where does all the money go? How much is paid to keep perp priests out of sight and away from the glaring light of truth? How much is spent on lawyers who are there to revisit the pain on victims? How much is spent on the meager payments to victims in those rare instances where a token settlement is paid to the victim? Where do they hide the money in the diocesan accounts? Where are the settlements recorded in the books? How much do you pay for insurance in case another priest turns out to be a serial child rapist? I bet those premiums are unpleasant!
- Accounts Payable Supervisor. Who writes the checks or pays cash to the counseling centers that provide therapy to the protected priests? How much is being paid out for counseling expenses for victims? The person making these payments must know why they are made. Perhaps some trusted lieutenant to the Bishop is personally overseeing those payments. Your payments are not that far from the payment made to Judas. Think about it!
- The Diocesan Review Board: Sister Celilia Meighan, RSM; Monsignor Peter Madus,V.F.; Mr. Donald Nicastro; Mr. Joseph Knecht; Carl Frank, Esq. I hope you all realize that your job is to protect children and those who are preyed upon by priests and other diocesan employees who commit crimes. If you see your job as protecting the Bishop of Scranton, I would say you are doing a great disservice to your faith, the parishioners and the truth. I recommend that, if you have a spine, you resign in protest.
- Teachers and Administrators at the schools where these men preyed on victims. I cannot believe that no one noticed anything. Hell, I had a nun walk in on a very ugly incident and she turned and walked away! In my case I have little doubt that someone at Notre Dame knew Gibson was a pedophile. Why was nothing done? The current principal was my 9th grade English teacher, he has been at that school for many years. I wonder how much he knows? I wonder how many more victims he can name? I am not accusing him of complicity. I do respect the man, I hope that anything he knows is after the fact. I could not stand another disappointment.
- The Parishioners in the Diocese. When are you people going to get it? They are spending your money, the money you tithe, to protect pedophiles. Is that what you want? If it is, just keep stroking your checks. You are complicit by not demanding that the Bishop be accountable.
- The District Attorneys for the counties in the Diocese. When are you people going to act? Why do you give the Diocese a free pass and allow them to quietly take care of their own? If this was any other company, someone would be in handcuffs. The Diocese does not seem to be that far away from being an organized crime enterprise. Law enforcement should be doing investigations and the justice system should be the final arbiter of the truth. Stop allowing the Diocese to police itself.
The Diocese of Scranton is a safe haven for pedophiles as long as the people listed above continue to support the priests. It is time for a change in the way business is done in Scranton!
Abuse thrives in an environment of secrecy! These people are enablers of abuse as long as they keep the Bishops’ secrets.